Our commitment statement
The Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service (CHHHS) allows you to access information held within our health service. We won't give you access if it's in the public's best interest for us to keep it private.
What is right to information
The Right to Information (RTI) process is the Queensland Government's approach to giving the community greater access to information.
The Queensland Government has made a commitment to allow the public to access information they have unless it's not in the best interests of the public.
This is defined under 2 pieces of legislation.
- Right to Information Act 2009 (RTI Act) allows you to apply for access to documents held by Queensland Government agencies.
- Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP Act) details privacy principles and allows you to apply for access and to make amendments to personal information.
Making a Right to Information Application
Ask if your information is available through our administrative access process before applying for your personal information under the IP Act 2009. Contact our Information Access Unit on 07 4226 8683.
Check what information is already available
Before applying, check to see if the information is on one of the following Queensland Health websites.
- Disclosure logs list information that's already been released in response to RTI access requests as well as the details of current applications.
- Publication schemes describe and categorises information available from our health service.
- Openness and transparency index is a list of additional data you can download.
- Open data strategy.
If you can’t find the information you're looking for, please contact us on 07 4226 8683 before lodging a request.
How to apply
You can apply online or you can download the Right to information and information privacy information access application form (PDF, 172KB) and submit it in person to Health information services, Level 1 Block A, Cairns Hospital.
You can also submit it by post to Cairns Hospital, Information Access Unit, PO Box 902 Cairns Qld 4870.
Some fees and charges apply to these applications.
Right of review
If you’re not satisfied with our decision on your access application you can apply to have it reviewed. This must be done within 20 business days from the date on the letter telling you our decision.
Please contact the manager of our Information Access Unit directly on 07 4226 8680 to discuss further.
You can also apply to have our decision reviewed by the Information Commissioner.
Documents are in PDF format. If you need a different format, contact CHHHS-RTI-Privacy@health.qld.gov.au.